About this course
Python has deservedly become a popular language for scientific computing. It has all the friendly features and conveniences you’d expect of a modern programming language, and also a rich set of libraries for working with data.
We teach using Jupyter notebooks, which allow program code, results, visualisations and documentation to be blended seamlessly. Perfect for sharing insights with others while producing reproducible research.
Join us for this live coding workshop where we write programs that produce results, using the researcher-focused training modules from the highly regarded Software Carpentry Foundation.
- Introduction to the JupyterLab interface for programming
- Basic syntax and data types in Python
- How to load external data into Python
- Creating functions (FUNCTIONS)
- Repeating actions and anylsing multiple data sets (LOOPS)
- Making choices (IF STATEMENTS – CONDITIONALS)
- Ways to visualise data in Python
No prior experience with programming needed to attend this course.
We strongly recommend attending the Start Coding without Hesitation: Programming Languages Showdown and Thinking like a computer: The Fundamentals of Programming webinars. Recordings of previously delivered webinars can be found here.