Research Support and Engagement is a key component of Intersect membership. Through the placement of an on-site eResearch Analyst, Intersect helps researchers at member universities in the following areas.
Research Support Services
1. Digital Research Support
Research Support is provided by the eResearch Analyst across the following main areas:
- General advice, assistance, guidance, and support on research specific applications like REDCap, Qualtrics, NVivo, Excel, SPSS, etc.
- General advice, assistance, guidance, and support, including basic scripting in languages like R, Python, Matlab, etc.
- Advice and assistance in accessing HPC and Cloud Computing technologies
- Assist with general principles of study design and administration
- Advise and assist with storage and Research Data Management principles and techniques
- Advise and assist with mechanisms for data capture from instrumentation
- Advice and assistance with the analysis, visualisation, and interpretation of data
- Access to the wider expertise of a highly diverse Services Team through the local on-campus eResearch Analyst.
2. Services Team Consultancy
In addition to the general advice and support provided by the Intersect Services Team as described in the Digital Research Support section, each eResearch Analyst brings more specific skills from their own area of disciplinary training and experience. These can be used by their member institution to provide a more in-depth consultancy service where the eResearch Analyst works with researchers at the detailed project level. This may include activities such as: specific development of scripts in R, Python, Matlab and other programming languages; assisting in the design of research methodologies; design and implementation of projects in REDCap; providing support in statistical analysis, helping in parallelisation of code for HPC; and data science or analytics in research projects.
3. Engagement and Community Building
eResearch Analysts work at the member universities to increase awareness of digital tools and technologies in the following ways:
a. General presentation/promotion of local university support services and complementary Intersect eResearch support services available to researchers
b. Presenting at conferences and workshops to raise awareness about the initiatives at the university and Intersect
c. Preparation and presentation of specific reports for the university
4. Strategy and Planning
eResearch Analysts work at the member universities on strategic and planning initiatives to streamline eResearch support at the university:
a. Contribute to the development of university strategies, policies, procedures, or processes regarding the research-related use of information technologies
b. Review, analyse, and report on various aspects of research technology usage
c. Lead, conduct, or contribute to major project initiatives of the university in the research technology sphere
Since inception, Intersect has supported thousands of researchers from its member organisations. The Case Studies section provides more detailed examples of how researchers have drawn on the research support available through membership to achieve their research outcomes more efficiently.