In November Intersect partnered with the NSW Government Department of Finance and Services and the Sax Institute to host an Open Data forum, workshop on data linkage, and subsequent panel discussion, as part of the NSW Government Open Data and ICT policies.
The forum featured addresses by the Minister for Finance and Services, the Hon Andrew Constance; Director General NSW Department of Finance and Services, Laurie Glanfield; Australian Information Commissioner, Professor John McMillan AO; and NSW Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Coombs.
– The NSW Open Data Policy, see: http://www.finance.nsw.gov.au/ict/sites/default/files/NSW Government Open Data Policy 1.0_3.pdf
– "NSW Globe"- A platform based on Google maps to view, explore and upload spatial data and imagery: http://globe.six.nsw.gov.au/
– Adoption by the NSW Government of the Open Access Licensing Scheme recommended by AUSGoal
– Commencement of a program to federate open data provided by NSW, SA, QLD and Federal Governments.
– Australia has joined the International Open Government Partnership which will require the development of a national action plan (for open data), http://www.opengovpartnership.org/
– An open source API originally developed by NY Times that is used to search NSW data may be of interest https://www.opengov.nsw.gov.au/api
Open Data Workshop
As part of the forum, Intersect and the Sax institute hosted a workshop titled “Innovating with Open Data – Data Linkage”. This followed from a previous forum hosted with the Department of Finance in Services in April 2013. See April Forum report here.